New WD 5400-7200rpm HDD problems , cannot start afrer pc goes to "sleep"

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Hiya!!!

some 20 days ago I got one of those new WD hard drives with 64MB cache, low power consumption and variable 5400-7200rpm speed... I knew it was slower than normal 7200rpm drives (and it indeed seems so, I see a good speed difference compared to my other Seagate hdd's) but thermal and power "advantages" where good enough for me :)

The drive in question is the 1TB WD10EARS ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=763) one. (it also supports some new cluster format but I did not mess with any settings as win7 that I use natively supports it).

Now my problem is that windows just BSOD after resuming usage when the pc was in sleep mode. This happens only with this HDD (and I regret the day I made it my boot hdd too). First time I saw this I was: OK , it seems that disk cloning failed, time to re-install win7pro x64... sadly this was not the case since the problem did not go away. Having the pc go to sleep state is a sure BSOD when you wake it :dry:

I made a thread in WD support forum here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop...n7-error-messages-that-they-cannot/td-p/45588 but even after receiving a phonecall from WD, and provided twice kernel/mem dumps and all the info they asked , no solution was provided. My mobo is an ASUS P5Q (intel P45 based) btw, and never had any kind of probs with Seagate hdd's that I use with it , in fact the moment the WD drive got attached I saw my first BSOD on that pc!!!

So before I really remove the HDD and use it for offline backups storage, has anyone faced this problem again??? This reminds me the 1997ish era with the primitive power saving mechanisms that were buggy as hell... it is just a huge disappointment having to resort to workarounds because you installed a HDD :blink:
Any ideas?

thanks! (y)

thanks Gary!

I installed this hotfix , and did some manual sleep/wake cycles, seems OK for now... gonna test some more because you can never be sure :)

Back
Top Bottom